Saturday, November 27, 2010

Bucket Wants Out of Bucket Game


The Old Oaken Bucket has informed its agent, Leigh Steinberg, that it wants out of the IU-Purdue football rivalry at the conclusion of today’s game. The bucket was first awarded in 1925 to the winner of the annual IU-Purdue football game.

Reached for comment, the Bucket said, “The series existed before I was in it, and I think it will continue long after me. I’m just tired of being associated with football that stinks and a game at the end of the year that usually means little more than who gets bragging rights in Indiana.”

The Bucket’s origins are disputed, and there are many stories around where it came from when it first popped up on the scene in 1925. It is believed to be well over 160 years old.

ESPN’s Chris Mortensen is reporting that the Bucket’s representation has been in contact with Bob Kraft and Jim Irsay to become a traveling trophy between the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts. The Bucket says those reports are not true. “I have no desire to be an NFL traveling trophy. I’m content to sit around after all these years and just be a bucket again. I haven’t carried water or any other liquid in years. I want to see if I can do it. Plus, I have all my I’s and P’s to hang around with.”

IU Athletic Director Fred Glass said he was disappointed with the Bucket’s decision, but he understood. Purdue’s Athletic Department could not be reached for comment on this issue, but they did say something obscene about urinating on the Hoosiers.

An inflatable pink flamingo has been contacted to serve as a replacement to the bucket beginning with the 2012 season.

UPDATE
In the wake of IU's thrilling victory, the Bucket has decided to re-evaluate it's position again next season. Said the Bucket, "I am glad IU won. You don't want to know what those Boilermakers do to me."

No comments: