Sunday, July 18, 2010

Abdul Gets It Right This Time


By Jon E. Easter
Founder

Abdul Hakim-Shabazz and I go round and round often in a good-natured way about our political opinions and blogs. He has given this blog and me plenty of good words, and I actually appreciate his friendship, believe it or not. Still, I do feel the need to point out things on his blog when he's actually just making stuff up. Today, though, I point out an awesome piece of work that he did this morning on the craziness that ensued downtown last night.

Ten people were injured in two separate shootings last night downtown. Many were under the age of 18, and one was 10 years old. Abdul hits many of the right notes in this piece on his experiences downtown last night. I can't say that I agree with everything, but I think I agree with much of what he says. I will excerpt only a portion. The entire post is well worth your time and your read.

This is going to sound really bad, and maybe it’s just the anger talking, but as far as I’m concerned after Saturday night, if an officer has to use excessive force to keep young people like the ones who did the shooting under control then so be it. That is not my problem and I frankly don’t care. There is a 10-year old who was shot because somebody decided to demonstrate they have no home training.

And that sentiment is being shared by a lot of people I spoke to this evening. The good work of Black Expo is going to be tarnished because a bunch of people don’t know how to behave. This is behavior is totally uncalled for.

And for those of you think this is about race, it isn’t. It’s about people being taught how to act in public.


The post continues after. I will not be taking comments on this post unless you use your maturity.

5 comments:

Indy Student said...

Having some problems with the anonymous commenters, Jon?

I completely agree with you. Abdul was on the ground and was often the first to get the word out on breaking news, and wrote a passionate piece when he got home.

stAllio! said...

wait... so abdul writes a post approving of police using "excessive force", and you applaud him for it, even quoting that passage approvingly?

the use of force is sometimes warranted. the use of excessive force is never justified... that what "excessive" means!

for shame, jon. for shame.

Jon E. Easter said...

"I can't say that I agree with everything, but I think I agree with much of what he says."

stAllio! said...

that's a pretty weak disclaimer considering that abdul's post A) suggests that the solution to violence in the black community is increased police violence against the black community and B) claims that police brutality against blacks is justified because blacks can't behave themselves.

Anonymous said...

I think you are missing the point Abdul and Jon are making.

Police fight crime and deserve community support, not kids who break laws, disrespect authority of law enforcement, teachers, and parents /guardians.

Old school leadership defending dysfunctional behavior just teaches children the wrong values and alienates people who would be willing to support more positive efforts to bring folks up.