Marvin...Marvin...Marvin. Dear Marvin. If you were not Marvin Scott, I would smile and laugh and admire how cute some of the things your campaign is doing are. Unfortunately, Dr. Scott has already decided to play the religion card on André Carson and has hooked his wagon to the Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck/Tea Party star.
Each week, there's something else. Now, his campaign has now released, via the candidate's website, 30 reasons why they think they can beat André Carson.
It fits right in with Saturday Humor. I couldn't get through the first 10 without laughing.
Here goes (with my comments in parenthesis), enjoy:
30 Reasons Why Dr. Marvin Scott Will Defeat André Carson
1. Dr. Scott is the perfect candidate vs. extreme liberal André Carson.
(In the 7th District? Not likely.)
2. Dramatically better organized, better staffed and better funded campaign than previous Republican candidates. Dr. Scott has the best, seasoned, and connected political advisors.
(Hmm...I can't speak to this one exactly but knowing who is working for him, I doubt it.)
3. The campaign team has put together a winning campaign plan and strategy.
(Not that I've seen.)
4. Tremendous name recognition of our candidate.
(He has name recognition, but I'm not sure it's "tremendous".)
5. Dr. Scott has very high positives in the district.
(Show me the poll.)
6. High Republican voter intensity in 2010 vs. low Democrat voter intensity.
(This remains to be seen. I would say that he might have a point here, but I think there are people on the ticket that will bring Democrats to the polls on November 2.)
7. Dr. Marvin Scott is a black candidate, negating the “race” card.
(Why bring this one up? Just odd.)
8. 2010 is an off year election & the strongest candidate in Indiana is Senator Dan Coats who is leading by 30 points.
(The most recent Rasmussen poll shows nothing like a 30 point lead for Coats, and most political advisers believe that the race will tighten. I doubt Coats will carry the 7th District.)
9. Independents are leaning Republican by a 2:1 margin.
(I have not seen this polling, so I don't know what they are quoting.)
10. Dr. Scott won the primary even though he was not the slated Republican party candidate and was outspent by 9:1.
(I can't speak to the accuracy of the claim, but he did prevail.)
11. Dr. Scott has a long & proven record of leadership, success and service to the district.
(Dr. Scott has a long & proven record of losing elections.)
12. Our opponent is far to the left of the vast majority of the constituents of the 7th District.
(I would ask to see the poll and the documentation on this.)
13. Indiana’s voter ID law will reduce voter irregularities.
(The voter ID law has been in effect since the 2006 election cycle. No wins for Republicans in the 7th District.)
14. ACORN will not be as active in the past.
15. Our website is a tremendous tool and asset.
(The website shows Marvin Scott might be a tremendous tool and ass-et. Sorry, that was low.)
16. Our TV network allows us to get our message out effectively.
(Yeah, Stan Soloman...what a guy!)
17. Tea Party support is very substantial.
(Finally one I can agree with.)
(I'll take the next ones as a whole...)
18. Support from the Jewish community is much larger than ever before based on our opponent’s positions and votes.
19. Support from the black community is much larger than any Republican candidate has received before.
20. Support from the Catholic community is much larger than any Republican candidate has received before based on our opponent’s positions and votes.
21. Support from the business community is much larger than any Republican candidate has received before based on our opponent’s positions and votes.
22. Support from the Indian community is much larger than any Republican candidate has received before based on our opponent’s positions and votes.
23. Support from the Pro-Life community is much larger than any Republican candidate has received before based on our opponent’s positions and votes.
24. Support from the Pro-Second Amendment community is much larger than any Republican candidate has received before based on our opponent’s positions and votes.
(I would ask the campaign to please cite specifics on each group for numbers 18-24.)
25. An ever growing army of volunteers.
26. Dr. Scott has a clearly defined set of principles to articulate during the campaign.
27. Success of Governor Mitch Daniels in 2008 in the district.
(Not sure it carries over here.)
28. Success of Mayor Greg Ballard in 2007 in city of Indianapolis.
(The 7th District is not the entire City of Indianapolis.)
29. A national campaign fund raising mail campaign strategy.
(I don't have a problem with this, but Carson is doing the same thing.)
30. A national campaign fund raising email campaign strategy
I can make a list of one reason why Marvin Scott will not beat Congressman Carson besides the fact that mathematical analysis, common sense, and most indicators would back up a Carson win.
1. Congressman Carson has been an involved, effective, and excellent representative for his constituents in the 7th District.