Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hill-Biden Event Notice Misleading



By Jon E. Easter
Founder

In my inbox yesterday, I received this from Baron Hill.

Dear Jon,

It brings me great pride to inform you that the Vice President of the United States, Joe Biden, will be joining me for a luncheon at Kye's in Jeffersonville on Monday, June 28th at 11:30 a.m. I want to extend an invitation to you to join us.

In addition, my colleague Kentucky Congressman John Yarmuth, will also be in attendance.

This truly is a historic event and a must for all Hoosier Democrats!

You will get to hear the latest on the national political scene from our Vice President. And this will also be an opportunity for you to learn more about my campaign efforts to seek re-election to the United States Congress.

All across the nation and Hoosier state, my fellow Democrats face important election battles this fall. And while we have made progress on many fronts...our work is not yet done.

My opponent is Todd Young, a long-time Carmel resident and the hand-picked candidate of the Indianapolis Republican establishment.

In case you haven't heard, Young is in favor of denying health care coverage to thousands of district residents, allowing Hoosier children to be denied health care coverage due to pre-existing conditions, and wants to reinstate the prescription drug "donut hole" for seniors. In addition, when Hoosiers across the district are out of work and struggling to make ends meet, Young is promoting extreme ideas like supporting a 23% national sales tax on goods and services. Hoosiers simply can't afford Todd Young's policies or his lack of knowledge of the 9th District.

To the contrary, my wife Betty and I are lifelong residents of Southern Indiana, having raised three daughters here and know the people of the district well. I am eager to continue serving as an independent voice for the good people of the 9th Congressional District.

I am proud of my history of fighting for better jobs for hard-working Hoosiers and for fiscal reform. I support a clean-energy jobs package that will create homegrown jobs, while significantly strengthening our national and economic security, and ensuring that our troops and veterans have the benefits they need and deserve.

I have spent my life working for practical solutions to end the divisive partisanship that plagues Washington and leads to gridlock.

And I have consistently been ranked as one of the most independent and moderate Members of Congress, having actively worked to break partisan rancor in order to get things done.

So please, come join us. Our luncheon is at Kye's in Jeffersonville on Monday, June 28th at 11:30 a.m. Vice President, Joe Biden and I would love to see you there.

You can RSVP to the event by contacting Jordan Smeltzer at (765) 432-1867 or by clicking here. Please note for security purposes, RSVP is required by June 18, so make your reservations today!

I look forward to seeing you there.

Sincerely,
Baron Hill
Congressman


While the e-mail came via the Indiana Democratic Party and was paid for and authorized by it, I was shocked to see that there was no mention of any money required to attend. So, I decided to RSVP. I received an e-mail back with an attached PDF.

Yep, it's a fundraiser. $2,400 for the VIP photo line, and $250 for the regular luncheon. I won't be going now, and I kind of figured it was a fundraiser. I think that should have been mentioned in the original e-mail.

No comments: