Saturday, April 3, 2010

Doctor in Florida Puts Up Sign To Turn Off Obama Supporters


So your primary care doctor refers you to a urologist for your medical problem. Well, that could be a problem if voted for Barack Obama and you live in Lake County, FL. One urologist there appears to be trying to scare off any patients that voted for the President.

Here's the story from Tampa Bay's Bay News 9.

MOUNT DORA -- The phones at one Lake County doctor's office have been busy after he posted a sign that reads: "If you voted for Obama, seek urologic care elsewhere."

Calls have been flooding in to Dr. Jack Cassell's office from all over the country, both in support and outrage over his orange sign.

"For every one person whose feelings get hurt, I have 99 people who are educated to the fact that 'Obamacare' sucks," said Cassell.

The sign goes on to read: "Changes to your health care begin right now, not in four years."

The doctor said he was pleasantly surprised by all the attention, and urged other doctors to speak out as well.

Stephen Berger, a now former patient of Cassell's, called the sign ridiculous, and said he believes the doctor has crossed a line.

"There is a way of having your opinion," Berger said. "And then, posting a sign. What's his next sign? If you're Catholic or Jewish or something else, then he's not going to accept you as a patient? He took an oath. That's for everybody."

"It's like seeing a provocative billboard," Cassell said. "That's what I'm doing. It has nothing to do with denial of care."

The doctor said he would not deny anyone care, no matter whom they support politically, but he wanted his customers to know how he felt about the whole thing.

While Cassell's sign continues to get national attention, one Central Florida congressman has called for an investigation into the doctor.

Rep. Alan Grayson, who has been a vocal supporter of President Barack Obama's health care overhaul plan, said he is disgusted by the sign.

"He's licensed," Grayson said. "There are licensing authorities who will look into what he's doing, and I hope that they'll take action, because frankly, I think a lot of people are disturbed just to go into his office. He's turned his inner office, his reception area, into some shrine of right-wing nuttery."

Cassell said he has thought about changing the sign -- not to please critics, but instead to come up with what he called a new witty comment on health care reform.

Norma Haygood, a patient of Cassell's, said she supports the doctor, and that if she had an office, she would do the same thing.

"I do, because it's his opinion, and everybody has an opinion. He just has got an office to display it," Haygood said.

"Ninety-nine percent of the people that come in here are being educated to the facts, and the one person who doesn't want me to be his doctor, fine. Small price to pay," Cassell said.

"This is a very Republican town," Berger said. "I'm sure there are a lot of people who support him. I'm not one of them."

Cassell has been practicing medicine in Lake County for 22 years.


He is an American, so putting up the sign is his right under the First Amendment. He's very free to do that. To be fair, Doc Cassell says he's not turning anyone away, so I guess if he's your doctor you probably don't want to tell him you voted for Obama when he's dealing with your urological plumbing (think about it guys and girls). Still, there's just something very unsavory here for me.

I could never be so petty. I don't limit my friends based on who they voted for. I don't limit the readership of this blog based upon party affiliation. I don't put up a sign outside my office at school reading, "If you or your parents voted for McCain, don't ask me your question." I would get fired, and, more importantly, I wouldn't be teaching my students the right thing.

To me, it's the fact that we can vote differently and get along that makes this country great. It's the crap like this that really shows how quickly we are falling apart, and do not blame Obama. Don't even blame George W. Bush. Let's look in the mirror on this one as we are all guilty. I guess this is just another example of the sickening nastiness that has settled around many things political.

We saw it the other day when I posted on the House District 97 race and immediately got accused of spewing hate. All I criticized the Republican candidate, Wes Robinson, for was latching onto a national issue to raise campaign cash in a state race and poor politics for having an extremely creepy looking picture up on the site. Pretty tame stuff...I think. Somehow I got accused of being an orphan-hating, nurse-hating, hate monger or something like that.

When is the insanity going to stop? We see a bill that gets passed that basically was a great big compromise when it comes to health reform, and we still have doctors trying to ward off patients loyal to a candidate that pushed that reform.

I am disturbed folks. Disturbed.

1 comment:

iPOPA said...

Wow, that urologist sure is pissed. (BA DA BING!) I'm here all week. Try the veal and don't forget to tip your wait staff!