Monday, March 1, 2010

In Memoriam: Lettie Oliver Passes


"Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality."
~Emily Dickinson

It's hard to believe someone so strong could be cut down when she is needed the most, but that appears to be what happened to AFL-CIO Central Labor Council President Lettie Oliver.

As my friend Zach Adamson put it on his Facebook page, "Though short in stature, she was a giant for Justice for all people. Our sister Lettie has been called home. Eternal rest grant unto her,O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace."

From Congressman Andre Carson's page, "Lettie Oliver was a great Democrat and great union activist, but she was an even greater person. I will miss you my sister."

From conservative blogger Abdul-Hakim Shabazz's page, "Mournig (sic) the loss of local Democratic labor leader Lettie Oliver. We argued all time over unions, outsourcing, privatization and free trade. She never backed down and God love her for it. She will be missed."

I think this is the sentiment from people across both sides of the political aisle. Lettie Oliver will be long remembered not only for her work on behalf of laborers everywhere but for the kind of person she was. I didn't know her well, but I've heard great stories. I wish I would have gotten to know her. While she is now organizing up in heaven, the Earth is just a little less of a place now without her.

What is clear is that Lettie Oliver was loved by many. She was one of a kind, and those kinds of people never fade away. My deepest condolences to Lettie's family and her many friends scattered across the political spectrum. Here's to you Sister Lettie!

1 comment:

Charles Clark said...

I have only known Lettie for a short time, but what an impression she made on me. Strong, articulate, poised, and powerful are just a few adjectives to describe her. We often talked about the final resting place. She had made it there. Lettie you will be missed and remembered.