Sunday, January 31, 2010

Personal Prerogative: How This Blog Works


Several people have asked how much time and effort Chris or I put into this blog, so I thought I'd take this Sunday to give you a "Behind The Scenes" look into how Indy Democrat works.

Since I am the principal writer here, I usually post most of the content. Most of my blog posts are written between 8:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. and then set to post at 12:01 a.m. the following day. So, if you read a blog post on Tuesday, it was likely written on Monday night.

Blog post ideas come to me in different ways. Sometimes campaigns will send me information and that will spur a post. Sometimes I may find an interesting news item or tidbit of information I think is blog-worthy. Many times, they come from the readers and what I hear you guys talking about out there. I also love to analyze. Sometimes I am right, and sometimes I am wrong.

The toughest nights are the ones where I am looking for something to write about or I just can't think of anything. On those nights you will usually see some sort of video posted that I found interesting. Thanks to MSNBC or Comedy Central, I can usually find something interesting. Typically, my weekend posts are videos or pieces like this one. Readership typically is much lower.

I have said many times to people that ask that my main aim with this blog is not to become a news breaker. That's not to say that I don't pursue scoops or unique content. I am somewhat competitive and if I can get a mention in other blogs as having the story first; that feels pretty darn good. In fact, both Christopher Jackson and I do pursue scoops. Chris writes for the blog when he gets a chance. On Friday, he was a huge help as news popped with Buyer and Orentlicher both leaving the political scene for now.

The biggest thing I try to do with this blog is exercise my journalistic muscle. My minor in college was journalism, and I am a proud graduate of the Ernie Pyle J School at IU. I have worked as a stringer for the Mooresville-Decatur Times, and I did, at one point, have my own column there. It was called Democratically Speaking which, by the way, was the title of the first blog I ever tried to write.

Well, that's probably enough about me and this blog. I am sure you're ready for some more political commentary rather than blather about myself and how this blog is done. One thing is for sure; I couldn't do this without my loyal readership! I really appreciate you all stopping by and spending a couple of minutes here each day. It is much appreciated. Thanks for joining me on this journey. If you ever have any news tips, suggestions, or any feedback, please feel free to drop me a line.

1 comment:

Had Enough Indy? said...

I appreciate that you both express your own opinions and analyses and not those of others. Keep up the good work !