Monday, December 7, 2009

Where Were Those New Trucks?


On my way to work, I found a snow plow…sitting behind the McDonald’s at 10th & Girls School Road! (Sorry for my poor photography skills.)

According to the very nice lady at the drive-thru window, she said she arrived at work at 4:25 a.m. and that she had not seen one truck until that guy pulled up and then spent the next 30 minutes “drinking coffee.”

“I guess I have the wrong job,” laughed the lady at the drive-thru.

He was still there when I pulled back around after getting my food, and I snapped that photo.

It does make you wonder how the city touted all of its new snow plows and salt trucks last week but seemed to have hid them all this morning for a measly inch of snow. Of course you remember Greg Ballard telling everyone last year in January after the big snow that you were on your own to shovel out. The buck was passed to indicate that a bum forecast caused the city to not put enough trucks on the street. Funny though, I seem to have watched the news last night during the football halftime cut-in update, and Fox 59 was already calling for this one to be a messy rush hour.

You were on your own again this morning, and your city services seem to have failed you. You can blame less money and smaller budgets if you wish, but you can't explain to me how someone that normally has a 12 minute drive to work saw that drive increase to well over three hours. It happened this morning.

I salute our hardworking men and women that plow our roads and keep us safe, and, maybe I caught this one isolated truck driver needing a break. I admit that I’m not up on city policy for those drivers. Maybe it’s a mandated break after so many hours of work. If that’s the case, I’m sorry for pointing this out. I am pretty sure that it didn't look good though.

2 comments:

Paul K. Ogden said...

Sometimes I wonder if they are purposefully sandbagging the snow removal effort so they can privatize it. I've never seen a worse snow removal effort than last year's.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure hizzoner was at the Super Bowl during the big storm. You know, doing "research."

It was the DPW Director that uttered the shovel-your-own-sidewalk message.