Thursday, October 8, 2009

Did Carl Brizzi's Tough Talk Finally Get Him In Trouble?


Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi may find himself in some hot water over some public comments about two specific, high profile cases.

The Indianapolis Star reported late last night that the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission "levied charges" against Brizzi for comments in a press release about the 2006 Hamilton Street murder case and comments in a 2008 press conference about accused serial killer Bruce Mendenhall last year. You can read the Star's full report here. You can also find more over at Terry Burns' Indianapolis Times blog.

Brizzi has been a media-friendly Prosecutor, and that's putting it fairly mildly. He hosts his own (I have to be honest here) high-quality radio program on WIBC on Saturdays and has even pinch hit for Greg Garrison before. On one of those pinch hit occasions (9:00 a.m. to noon on a workday, mind you), I personally heard Brizzi encourage steroid use by professional athletes. Steroids, of course, are illegal under federal law, yet Brizzi said he was "all for" steroid use if it made his experience as a fan better. Is his brain connected to his lips? Makes you wonder.

To be fair, these are just charges, and Brizzi will get his day to answer them.

I will contact the Democratic candidates for Prosecutor and attempt to get their reactions to Brizzi's difficulties. Brizzi still has not yet decided to run or not to run for a third term.

2 comments:

Terry Burns said...

I just want to put in a plug for the Indianapolis Times. The Times broke the Brizzi story last night and I received a call from The Star a half hour after I posted the story to see if I would provide them with a copy of the disciplinary filing. I was more than happy to help.

Jon E. Easter said...

Sorry Terry. You, as always, got the scoop first. I forgot to correct that in my draft before I published. Please accept my apologies.